It’s raining, it’s pouring…and the parents, kids, and fur friends may be getting a bit stir crazy. If rainy weather has you down, take heart. There are plenty of options for indoor fun, even if the weather leaves much to be desired. Here are some suggestions to get you through these long rainy days (and the cold weather that’s yet to come).
Seasonal Indoor Activities
With Halloween, Hanukkah, Christmas, Thanksgiving, and more just around the corner, there are tons of opportunities to enjoy the holiday season indoors. Try some of these seasonally inspired activities:
- Paint pumpkins. Easier than pumpkin-carving, pumpkin-painting is ideal for kids of all ages.
- Bake seasonally themed cookies: ghosts for Halloween, candy canes with sprinkles for Christmas, menorahs for Hanukkah.
- Make a gingerbread house. Let your kids take the creative lead. Sure, the end product might not look like the photo on the box, but your kids will learn about spatial reasoning, baking, and even architecture during the process.
- Make a family holiday scrapbook. Stock up on stickers and construction paper, then give each child their own album and photos. Try prompting them to list things they are grateful for, or using the project as a way to make an album for beloved grandparents.
- Don’t forget your four-legged friends, it is always fun to bake holiday-inspired homemade treats for your pets. You’d be surprised how easy they are and that you may have all of the ingredients already.
Passing the Time at Home
You don’t have to limit yourself to holiday-themed activities. There’s plenty you can do at home year-round. Try some of the following:
- Give each child a sticker book and let them decorate their own scenes.
- Try setting up a family mail delivery service. Make and decorate a mailbox from a shoe box, then write each other notes on fun stationery.
- Make a succulent arrangement. Succulents are cheap and easy to care for. Get a ceramic pot for your kids to paint, then stuff it with a few lovely plants.
- For the pets, make meal time interesting and take them back to their natural foraging abilities. Everyone can hide food around the home and see how well your pet does.
- Schedule a play date with one of your neighbors for kids and pets. One of the great things about MorningStar is how many families call our community home. We’re a close-knit group full of nice people who care for one another and look out for each other’s well-being. So get out and meet your neighbors.
Getting Out of the House
Painting pumpkins and endless play dates might be fun, but they can also be messy. If you’d prefer to take the fun outside of the house, you’re in luck. Georgetown is one of the most family-friendly regions in Texas. Your options are virtually limitless. Here are some of the best:
- If your kids are craving playground time, try visiting Pump it Up. This indoor playground offers tons of bouncy toys and slides, including a toddler-friendly area for the littlest tykes. Looking for another indoor play space? For the small price of a slightly longer drive, Catch Air of Round Rock offers a similar experience.
- Want to treat your kids to a new book and some ice cream? Check out All Things Kids. This one-stop kid-friendly shop sells all the things kids love most.
- Monster Mini Golf offers a wide range of kids’ activities, including indoor laser tag, under the glow of black lights. From ski ball to classic arcade games, there’s something here to delight every bored kid.
- Got a kid who’s obsessed with mermaids, swimming, or both? Offer them swimming lessons from real mermaids, or take them to see a live mermaid performance. AquaMermaid School is mermaid central.
- Legion of Foam offers indoor Nerf wars, endless foam toys, and both indoor and outdoor play options. They can even come to you for a foam-inspired party.
- There are a few great playcare options for your four-legged buddies as well – pop them down the road to Zoot, or try Camp Bow Wow and Ponderosa Pet Resort. (do be sure your pets are up-to-date with vaccinations)
The rain will stop eventually, of course, and then it will be time for more MorningStar celebrations. So enjoy the cozy indoor time, and get ready for our next holiday event.